[Kea-users] Empty DUIDs on kea-dhcp4

Gary Henderson garyconorhenderson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:02:35 UTC 2022

Hello KEA mailing list,

I am seeing the following errors in our logs for our KEA 2.0.0 server.

“<DATE> <TIME> ERROR [kea-dhcp4.packets/113.140299429395256]
 DHCP4_PACKET_PROCESS_STD_EXCEPTION exception occurred during packet
processing: Empty DUIDs are not allowed”

I am struggling to understand this error message for a couple of reasons.

   1. All of the reading I have done has indicated that DUIDs are only used
   in DHCPv6. We are only running DHCPv4 and you can see the above message is
   from the kea-dhcp4 process – “kea-dhcp4.packets…” +
   “DHCP4_PACKET_PROCESS_STD_EXCEPTION”
   2. Further to this IPv6 is explicitly disallowed within our environment
   so *even if *the DHCPv6 process was running nothing should be sending
   anything to it.

Has anyone else seen similar behaviour previously?

It did occur to me that a bug like this may also be at play here but I’ve
been unable to confirm this -
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/2260

Kind Regards, Gary Henderson