[Kea-users] KEA allocates an IP while it should not

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Tue Aug 30 15:41:29 UTC 2022

Veronique Lefebure writes:
>  I would like to understand why KEA allocates an IP which should not be alloc
> ated.
>

>  I have, on purpose (for testing KEA behaviour), declared the following globa
> l host reservation:

=> the answer is here: you use a global host reservation with a reserved
address so as it is documented this breaks localization aka subnet selection
so you can get exactly the kind of results you got...

>  My question is:
>  ISC DHCP would not do that.

in ISC DHCP there is no global reservations for an address even it is not
obvious from the syntax: the reservation is attached to the subnet the
address belongs to.

>  Is it expected that KEA does not behave the same way ?

=> yes, host reservation model is very different in KEA.

>  Is there any tuning that can be used so that KEA behaves the same way as ISC
>  DHCP used to behave ?

=> put reservations with an address in a subnet the address belongs to.
Note you can still use global reservations for other things as KNOWN /
UNKNOWN classification, option setting, etc. With last versions of KEA
you have also optional early global reservation lookup too.

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>