[Kea-users] Kea VM sizing ?

Wlodek Wencel wlodek at isc.org
Tue Apr 12 07:53:15 UTC 2022

Hey,

we don't have such document yet, but I can point you to our recent
performance tests report, which on first page described hardware used
and in most charts it adds memory and cpu usage. It also describe multi
threading settings (it may differ between systems)

But I will give you small "it depends", mostly it depends on 3 factors,
traffic characteristics you expect (how often clients ask for lease),
lease backend you use and roughly how many clients are in your network

* db backends (mysql and pgsql) needs more cpu cores but less memory and
are generally slower than memfile

* memfile needs more memory especially if you are handling huge number
of clients, and over all CPU usage on system is smaller (you run just
Kea not additional database)

report: https://reports.kea.isc.org/performance/stable/2.0.2/report.html

Thanks for using Kea,
Wlodek Wencel