[Kea-users] Classification by subnets vs. IP

Todd Gurnett todd.gurnett at sait.ca
Mon Sep 27 23:44:26 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I have some questions I am hoping someone can give some insight into.

I work at a post-secondary and we are working on migrating to Kea for DHCP services.
The previous design had a pair of DHCP servers for each distribution level and there are 5 distributions so 10 servers total.
We are collapsing these down to two fairly powerful servers.

Some information to understand the layout and issue.
We also have a set of wireless controllers for each distribution.
We run IPv4 and use 10.x.x.x IP space internally.
Each distribution has been assigned a /19 for wireless AP management networks which are subnetted into /26 (one network per stack of access switches).
To complicate matters we are looking at including multiple wireless vendors.
Ideally, all vendors would use the same wireless access point management networks (the /19 per distribution subnetted to /26 per access swtich stack).

The issue I am grappling with is how to classify efficiently.

Classifying the vendor is straightforward given the examples from the Kea documentation.
And we can classify the network based on an IP using something like giaddr, but that means for every /26 network we need a classification. Seems excessive so I have been looking for a way to summarize.

Something like:
- if vendor x and subnet 10.198.0.0/19 respond with controllers x1 and x2
- if vendor y and subnet 10.198.0.0/19 respond with controllers y1 and y2
- if vendor x and subnet 10.198.32.0/19 respond with controllers x3 and x4
- if vendor y and subnet 10.198.32.0/19 respond with controllers y3 and y4

I had tried using a subnet in the test section with giaddr, but Kea complained about the syntax.
I then tried creating a /19 subnet and dealing with the controller assignment there and then the /26 subnet to respond with appropriate gateway, lease time, dns, and manage the address pools for that network. But Kea wouldn't hand out IP addresses in this config.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to achieve the efficiency goal?

Thanks for your time.