[Kea-users] HA setup in kubernetes, hostnames in the configuration fail to resolve

Yordanov, Damyan damyan.yordanov at sap.com
Wed Dec 29 18:28:40 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

I am running an HA (hot standby) Kea setup in Kubernetes. I do not want to hard-code service IPs, so I switched to headless services instead, hoping to be able to provide (fest) hostnames in the HA configuration:

[…]
"parameters": {
  "high-availability": [
    {
      "this-server-name": "secondary",
      "mode": "hot-standby",
      "heartbeat-interval": 10000,
      "max-response-delay": 60000,
      "max-ack-delay": 10000,
      "max-unacked-messages": 0,
      "max-unacked-clients": 0,
      "peers": [
        {
            "name": "primary",
            "url": "http://dhcp-prim-headless-svc:8000/“,  <- does not seem to be supported
            "role": "primary",
            "auto-failover": true
        },
        {
            "name": "secondary",
            "url": "http://dhcp-second-headless-svc:8000/“, <- same here
            "role": "standby",
            "auto-failover": true
        }
      ]
    }
  ]
}
[…]

However, the Kea container fails to start with the error message that the address cannot be resolved:

363 18:16:52.313 kea-dhcp4.hooks HOOKS_STD_CALLOUT_REGISTERED hooks library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kea/hooks/libdhcp_ha.so registered standard callout for hook leases4_committed at address 0x7f20d4739360
363 18:16:52.313 kea-dhcp4.ha-hooks HA_CONFIGURATION_FAILED failed to configure High Availability hooks library: bad url 'http://dhcp-prim-headless-svc:8000/': Failed to convert string to address 'dhcp-prim-headless-svc<http://dhcp-prim-headless-svc:8000/':%20Failed%20to%20convert%20string%20to%20address%20'dhcp-prim-headless-svc>': Invalid argument for server primary
363 18:16:52.313 kea-dhcp4.hooks HOOKS_LOAD_ERROR 'load' function in hook library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kea/hooks/libdhcp_ha.so returned error 1

The headless service is perfectly pingable from other containers in the pod, so no DNS general problem there.

I also stumbled upon a unit test, indicating that hostnames are not supported in the configuration, https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/blob/master/src/hooks/dhcp/high_availability/tests/ha_config_unittest.cc#L651-L677. However, the HA design document, https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/wikis/designs/High-Availability-Design,<https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/wikis/designs/High-Availability-Design,has> clearly *has* hostnames in its showcase configuration.

So, can someone, kindly, hint me if that’s supported or not? If the latter is the case, I will just open a feature request.

For the developers: thanks for the great work, keep it up!

Best,
   Damyan Y.

Damyan Yordanov

BTP Core FP R&C Gardener (SE)

SAP SE, Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16, 69190 Walldorf, Germany

T +49 6227 7-65764, M +49 160 90 842 652, damyan.yordanov at sap.com<mailto:damyan.yordanov at sap.com>

Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statement: www.sap.com/impressum<http://www.sap.com/impressum>

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.