[Kea-users] IP reservation for multiple MAC addresses

Robin Daermann robin.daermann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 3 14:58:16 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 09:02:27PM +0200, Marcin Romanowski wrote:
>No this configuration is still incorrect. From network engineer perspective
>that configuration assumes that could be one ip address with different mac
>addresses at the same time. This is a network issue. Don't do that.

I know that, I'm the network engineer. But there are lots of other
reasons for duplicate IP addresses, so I would not bother for this
additional one, given the fact that it is much easier to generate
duplicate IP addresses when setting them up manually instead of using
DHCP for it.

We also have a bunch of switch stacks that need DHCP. They often come up
with different stack master and therefore different MAC address, so this
feature would help us a lot. Sure, it's just like a "bug fix" for
vendors not being able to handle out consistent MAC addresses from their
switch stacks but unfortunately we have to work with it.

>If you want to share the same ip address with different devices consider
>using option 82 and assign addresses based on port.

We can't do that.

>you also can make user class with test where you provide your mac addresses
>as key and assign that class to reserved ip address. I've never do that
>way, but could work.

I will test that in the next days.

Best regards,

Robin Därmann
(Network Operation Center RUB)

--
| Robin Därmann                             Network Operation Center |
| RS18625-RIPE @ RUB8-RIPE                  Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum |