[Kea-users] IP reservation for multiple MAC addresses

Robin Daermann robin.daermann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 1 18:51:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 08:11:21PM +0200, Marcin Romanowski wrote:
>Do you think that is correct? There shouldn't be / it can't be two the same
>ip address in the same network, this is ip conflicts and L3 wont work
>correctly.
>
>Opposite situation where you share the same mac but with different ip could
>be considered as correct.

Yes it is correct. Imagine for example having laptops with USB-C
Ethernet Adapters/port-replicators/docks. Each adapter has its own MAC
address and only one of them is used at a time. Due to obscure reasons,
some users are dependent on specific IP addresses and would like to get
them assigned independently of their Ethernet adapter.

I know that we could use other criteria such as DUID for assignment but
that is not an option because it has other disadvantages for us (i.e.
they tend to change when reinstalling the OS or for other reasons).

I wonder if it is possible when using a MySQL database for host
reservations. Will try some things tomorrow...

Btw: I am using Kea 1.6.3 on FreeBSD 12.1.

Regards,

Robin Därmann
(Network Operation Center RUB)

--
| Robin Därmann                             Network Operation Center |
| RS18625-RIPE                              Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum |