[Kea-users] Add host reservation on subnet with lots of leases

Chad Catlett chad at catlett.info
Wed May 6 19:28:22 UTC 2020

Hello,

We are using the subscriber hooks, currently running 1.6.1.

We currently have a subnet with 1000+ leases and we have a need to
create host reservations for some new devices that will be on the subnet.

I am attempting to figure out the most sound way of finding available
IPs. We can get a list of leases for the subnet via the API, and then
find a free IP. Our concern is that this subnet sees a ton of dhcp
traffic and there is the risk of us finding a free IP and it being given
out as a lease before we have a chance to submit an API request to add
the lease.

I was hoping there was some kind of argument that we could pass in via
the API that causes it to auto assign an available IP, but that doesn't
seem to be possible.

How are others solving this in a way that creates zero to very tiny risk
of conflicts.

Thanks,

Chad

--