[Kea-users] DHCPv6: Advertised and Assigned addresses are different

laaubert laurent_aubert at yahoo.fr
Wed Jul 15 15:48:50 UTC 2020

Hi Tomek,

Thanks for your quick reply and clarification.

I was just worried that not the entire pool might be available for addresses
allocation. I did a test with a pool of 2 addresses and both were
successfully assigned so as you said, this is all expected behavior.

/"When you think about it, your client sends a Request with IA_NA and no
address. This means "give me an address". It could sent specific
address, which would be interpreted as "can you give me this address?"./

That makes sense. To avoid two lookups in such scenario, why not sending the
same advertised address (first address of each pool) to all clients ? This
way you will end up with a single lookup for each Request regardless of the
values of the IA_NA option and no need to reserve the advertise address for
a short period of time.

I might be completely off ;-)

Thanks,
Laurent.