[Kea-users] ALLOC_ENGINE_V4_ALLOC_FAIL

Conor Mullen conormullen908 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:31:04 UTC 2020

Hey Ismael,

So what you are seeing here is the subnet is being defined as only
available for a specific client-class:

"pools": [ { "pool": "1.2.3.2 - 1.2.3.254", "client-class": "HA_server1" }
],

This means (as far as I understand) that specific pool in that subnet will
only be offered to dhcp requests that are tagged with that HA_server1
client-class. So unless you have a host-reservation defined somewhere that
associates your dhcp request with that "HA_server1" client-class that pool
you've set up will not be available for your request.

Client classes are great for allowing you better access control to your
subnet pools, but with your original config they'll block your requests
unless you are setting those classes in a host reservation:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arm/classify.html

Here's the ISC provided example I ended up using to set up reservations for
my subnets:
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#reserving-client-classes-in-dhcpv4

Hope that helps shed some light on how that works. Nice work
troubleshooting your way down to the issue.

All the best,
Conor Mullen