[Kea-users] Host Reservation Problem

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Tue Jan 14 17:48:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 8:51 AM krdoor <kristof.vandoorsselaere at hogent.be>
wrote:

> Dear Kea Users List,
>
> I'm working for a university college and I'm in the process of trying to
> migrate the current ISC dhcp to Kea DHCP.
>
> On the current ISC DHCP we have been using ldap as a backend for host
> reservations. Since the ldap server is phased out, we are planning to
> migrate reservations to mysql.
>
> Some facts about our current implementation:
>
> basically we have "2 types" of subnets:
>
> 1. Reservation only:
>
> --> only registered client get an ip address, this can be either a dynamic
> or fixed address (Most devices just have a dynamic address, only for some
> special use cases static ip's are assigned)
> --> in ISC cfg, this is accomplished by: deny unknown-clients

You probably do not need "deny unknown-clients", and it could cause
problems.
You just need:  allow members of "my-pool";
and that changes the default rule to denied for that subnet.  (At least for
ISC DHCPD)

I don't know how that works in Kea, but if you include your Kea config,
someone here might be able to help.

--
Bob Harold