[Kea-users] get backup server into ready state

Oehlrich, Benedikt boe at codemanufaktur.com
Tue Jan 14 06:45:13 UTC 2020

Hey everyone,

I'm setting up a ha cluster and wonder if there is a way to get a server,
that is configured as a backup server, to transit into a ready state.
E.g. I have a monitoring instance that realizes that one of my kea
instances fails and does not respond any more. Of course the service stays
available as the second running kea instance takes over. But if my second
instance would fail, there would be no working DHCP service available
anymore.
I now want this monitoring service to automatically enable the backup
server to take the place of the failed kea instance.

Can this be achieved without updating the config file just by using the
REST backend?
It's not really documented what the backup server is for, besides to have a
lease backup which can be turned on manually.

Cheers,
Benedikt