[Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

Tomek Mrugalski tomek at isc.org
Mon Aug 31 20:10:52 UTC 2020

On 27/08/2020 03:58, Klaus Steden wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over
> to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran
> through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to
> 6.0.
>
> For some reason, the 6.0 to 7.0 upgrade keeps failing, so I can't
> run the 1.6 software version.
It would help if the "some reason" be a bit more specific. It looks like
the first attempt to upgrade failed half-way with some parts of the
schema being updated, but not all. The follow-up tries to run the update
fails. I have no idea or suspicion why that would happen. The 7.0 schema
was introduced long time ago and I don't remember specific complaints
about it.

> Anyone else run into this one? Any advice or things I can try to fix
> this issue?
You may try to run the schema update manually. Take a look at the 6.0 to
7.0 update script here:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/blob/master/src/share/database/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh.in

It should also be available in your system if you installed kea-admin:
/usr/share/kea/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh

Copy the actual schema update (everything between <<EOF in line
19 and EOF in line 647) to a file and run this as a script in mysql
and see what happens.

Oh, and you did backup your DB before upgrading, right?

Tomek