[Kea-users] Kea 1.5 with static host configuration (reservations only, no pools) and HA - best practice request

Jan Rovner jan.rovner at diadema.cz
Wed Sep 25 13:17:37 UTC 2019

Hello, I use Kea in a pure static way, that it responds ONLY to the requests of trusted clients. I did not find any built-in solution, so I have modified user_chk hook example to drop any request that does not come from MAC present server reservations (Kea reservations = trusted MACs).  Is this approach OK? Or would it be possible to achieve the same result in the other way? In my solution, I have a few weird things in the config files - for example "dummy" pools like "pool": "192.168.1.0/32" ("dummy") , because pool declarations are mandatory...

Secondly, I am not sure about HA config, because both of my servers finish with HA_LOCAL_DHCP_ENABLE message. I have two servers (192.168.99.5 called "keadhcp-1" and 192.168.99.6 called "keadhcp-2"), they have exactly the same configuration file except "this-server-name": "keadhcp-x" line, see below. I would like to have as quick failover as possible.

The last thing - I am also unsure how to properly update server config files - I do config file update via API, one server immediately after another, maybe I should wait some time before updating the second server in order to HA to settle somehow ... Or not?

Thank you for any ideas,
Jan

    "library": "/usr/local/lib/hooks/libdhcp_ha.so",
        "parameters": {
          "high-availability": [
            {
              "heartbeat-delay": 5000,