[Kea-users] Custom option 191 - string

chris at slater-walker.net chris at slater-walker.net
Wed Nov 27 10:09:11 UTC 2019

I want to create DHCPv4 option 191 for a certain subnet.
This option allows Extreme Networks WiNG wireless access points to discover their WLAN controller at the IP address specified in option 191.
The same option also gives the access point information about a proprietary protocol called MINT.
According to Extreme Networks, the format of the option is as follows:
pool1=1.2.3.4;level=1
(from https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-is-syntax-for-DHCP-option-191-allowing-WING-devices-to-automatically-adopt (https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-is-syntax-for-DHCP-option-191-allowing-WING-devices-to-automatically-adopt))
That's it; I need to give this to DHCP clients as a simple ascii text string but I can't find a piece of documentation which tells me how to do this. My attempts at configuring it always end up with an error.
This is what I currently have:
"subnet4": [
        {
            "subnet": "192.168.2.0/24",
                     "option-data": [
                {
                    "name": "AP-option",
                    "code": 191,
                    "data": "pool1=192.168.2.249;level=1"
                }
            ],...
        }
I'd be grateful for any help about how I can configure this.
--ChrisSW.