[Kea-users] ddns fails with powerDNS (Failed PreRequisites check)

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Wed Feb 6 08:44:53 UTC 2019

> Has anyone found how to make kea-ddns work with PowerDNS? pdns logs
> suggest:
>
> pdns[20989]: UPDATE (50855) from 10.10.1.254 for lan.: Failed
> PreRequisites check, returning 6
>
> The query log shows only some normal SELECT statements. If it's not a
> known problem can anyone show how to find what the DNS UPDATE command
> is
> being sent to the DNS server to diagnose?
>
> Someone else had problem but couldn't get resolution:
> https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/5830

Problem seems to be using TSIG signed DNSUPDATE requests. There used to
be a Kea bug

http://kea.isc.org/ticket/5071#ticket

But the link is dead. Is that bug fixed? Is the problem with Kea or
maybe the older version of powerDNS?

Question - after I removed TSIG the initial forward and reverse
DNSUPDATE commands succeed:
DHCP_DDNS_ADD_SUCCEEDED DHCP_DDNS Request ID xxx: successfully added the
DNS mapping addition for this request: Type: 0 (CHG_ADD)

But Kea does another CHG_ADD only a minute later and it fails:
DHCP_DDNS_FORWARD_REPLACE_REJECTED DNS Request ID yyy: Server,
10.10.1.254 port:5353, rejected a DNS update request to replace the
address mapping for FQDN, wkst4.lan., with an RCODE: 8
DHCP_DDNS_ADD_FAILED DHCP_DDNS Request ID yyy: Transaction outcome
Reverse change: failed,  request: Type: 0 (CHG_ADD)

Is this a problem or can it be ignored? Is it due to setting
"override-no-update": true and "override-client-update": true?