[Kea-users] Configure 1.4 on CentOS 7.5

Ricardo J. Barberis ricardo at palmtx.com.ar
Tue Sep 18 18:50:23 UTC 2018

Hi!

El Martes 18/09/2018 a las 15:15, Tomek Mrugalski escribió:
> On 18/09/2018 17:10, Ricardo J. Barberis wrote:
> > CentOS 7.x boost is too old for Kea 1.4, for more info and .spec files
> > check out https://github.com/RasmusEdgar/kea-centos-srpms
> >
> > Kea devs, could you update the installation notes?
>
> Kea users, can *you* update the installation notes? We're busy working
> on the code.

You know, just after sendig my email I looked at your gitlab and saw that I
can login with my github/gitlab/google credentials (I was hoping I wouldn't
have to create yet another login) and I'm actually considering sending a PR
to update the instructions :)

> On a slightly more serious note, Kea is developed by a small team of
> developers. There's only few of us. On the other hand, there are
> hundreds of users. As of today, there are over 350 people signed on this
> list alone. We would appreciate a lot helping with things like updating
> distro specific installation notes (and perhaps writing new ones for the
> distros that are not covered yet), sharing some good config examples
> with comments and other things of similar nature.

Agreed!

> As for the specific case that Ismael reported, Ricardo is right. I
> thought it may be useful describe how to find what's exactly going on in
> cases like this. The config.log that was attached contains this error:
>
> configure:18859: result: no
> configure:18859: checking boost/asio/coroutine.hpp presence
> configure:18859: g++ -E  -DOS_LINUX conftest.cpp
> conftest.cpp:37:36: fatal error: boost/asio/coroutine.hpp: No such file
> or directory
>  #include <boost/asio/coroutine.hpp>
>                                     ^
> compilation terminated.
>
> The boost version included in CentOS is simply too old for Kea 1.4 as it
> doesn't have coroutine. On retrospection, we should have probably kept
> the coroutine header in kea sources a little bit longer.
>
> Rasmus created his packages (thanks a lot for your work, it's much
> appreciated!) with boost 1.57. Our installation instructions for Radius
> were tested on boost 1.65. See section 14.4.8
> (https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#hooks-radius)
> if you want to install boost from sources.
>
> I also recall that if you try to install a Boost from sources that are
> too new you may hit another problem. The compiler on CentOS 7.4 was too
> old and it was not able to compile boost 1.68. Perhaps this has changed
> in 7.5.

FWIW, CentOS 7.5 still has gcc 4.8.5, I'm guessing boost 1.57 was compiled
with SCL's devtoolset-7-gcc (7.3.1):

 https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/devtoolset-7/

> Tomek

Cheers,