[Kea-users] Multiple dns-server in kea-dhcp-ddns server

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Sun Nov 4 12:53:22 UTC 2018

Tim Weippert writes:
> Hi list,
>
> i configured two dns-servers within a forward-ddns domain in kea-dhcp-ddns:
>
>   "forward-ddns" : {
>         "ddns-domains": [
>                 {
>                         "name": "<domain-name>.",
>                         "key-name": "DHCP-Update-Key",
>                         "dns-servers": [
>                                 { "ip-address": "172.18.20.1" },
>                                 { "ip-address": "127.0.0.1" }
>
>                         ]
>                 }
>         ]
>   },
>
> as i understand the documentation, kea-dhcp-ddns should send the updates to b
> oth dns-servers,

=> not sure: dynamic updates are propagated between servers so it is
enough to send to the first working one.

> but it seem to use only the first one.

=> this is what I expect from the DNS point of view.

> I would like to change my master DNS Server to another system/product an
> d keep both in sync for some time.

=> it is a DNS problem: if you don't try a multi-master setup with
a server software which does not explitely support it there should
be no issue: as I said dynamic updates are propagated between servers
(or they fail) so things with a sane setup can't go out of sync.

> Is this a misunderstanding from my side or is there something wrong with the
> configuration?

=> misunderstanding. Simply look at the DNS server documentation about
dynamic updates.

Regards

Francis.Dupont at fdupont.fr