[Kea-users] High Availability

Joelson Vendramin jtvendramin at yahoo.com.br
Thu May 10 16:48:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

We have a "home-made" HA with two servers running KEA 1.2.0 for about one year without any troubles.

However, in our scenario:
- We don't use any DBs, just memfiles;
- We have no dynamic pools, just reservations based on "circuit-id" (option 82) for IPv4 and "interface-id" (option 18) for IPv6.

For this use, both servers can have almost the same kea.conf file and there's no need to keep lease CSV files in sync.

--Joelson Vendramin

    Em quinta-feira, 10 de maio de 2018 10:45:58 BRT, Tomek Mrugalski <tomasz at isc.org> escreveu:

 On 10.05.2018 14:55, Marcos Renato da Silva Junior wrote:
> I understood that Kea still does not have failover or any other type
> of high availability (I have version 1.1.0 and use memfile).
1.1.0 is EOLed since Dec 2017. That means that if you encounter a bug,
you're on your own. ISC will not be fixing anything in versions that are
too old. If I were in your position, I'd seriously consider moving to
1.4.0 once it becomes available. It will have a HA support that works
with memfile.

On 10.05.2018 15:24, Sutherland, Robert wrote:
> We hoping that the configuration can be stored in the database in a
> future release.
Correct. That's currently under consideration for 1.5. If you are
interested in this functionality and are willing to help fund its
development and/or test it, please contact me off-line. We do have an
early description of the solution here:

http://kea.isc.org/wiki/CentralizedConfigNetconf

For various reasons we had to mix two aspects together: configuration
storage in DB and netconf. If you don't care about netconf, pay
attention only to the DB sections.

On 10.05.2018 15:28, Munroe Sollog wrote:
> We currently use kea in an HA (slightly unsupported setup) and I
> believe 1.4 will include the rest of the missing pieces for HA (due
> in a few weeks).  We have 3 servers in a galera mysql cluster and
> two dhcp server.  We are double VRRP'ing between them so both IPs
> always stay up.  Using 1.3, while some metrics have been screwed up,
> the core functionality has been rock solid for ~6 months.
Great to hear about the rock solid part.

The metric fix is coming up in 1.4-beta.

Tomek