[Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Mon Mar 19 13:22:39 UTC 2018

Hello Kevin:

Kea is now up to version 1.3.0 with many new features added since 1.1.0
so you may wish to consider upgrading.  However, Kea 1.1.0 should
function using MySQL for lease storage.  Kea servers can emit a great
deal of logging detail, provided you have it enabled.   With sufficient
logging enabled, you should see some sort of response from Kea to client
packets.  Even if Kea elects to drop a packet, you should still it's
arrival logged and an explanation for why it was dropped.

I would suggest, as a starting point that you dial up the logging
detail.  The following logger configuration will give you maximum output
to stdout (for more information on logging please see the Logging
chapter in the Kea Admin guide):

"Logging":
{
   "loggers": [
     {
       "name": "kea-dhcp4",
       "output_options": [
           {
             "output": "stdout"
           }
       ],
       "severity": "INFO",
       "debuglevel":99
     }
   ]
}

I have attached a log excerpt from a Kea 1.1.0 server I configured to
use MySQL lease storage so you can see what to expect.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder
ISC Software Engineering