[Kea-users] Possible allocation bug when reloading kea-dhcp6 or in relation to reservation without pools with kea-1.3.0

Rasmus Edgar regj at arch-ed.dk
Thu Jun 28 08:24:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

After some more updates to the config a possible pattern has emerged.

It seems that when a new shared-network is appended to the
shared-networks array everything works fine. If a shared-network is
inserted in the middle of the shared-networks array, and thereby
shifting the array position of other shared-network declarations within
the array the host reservations of these fail to get allocated. I.e
order must be kept as is within the shared-networks array and a new
shared-network can only be appended to the shared-networks array.

I think it might relate to shifting of subnet-ids as described here:

https://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#idp63177200

"While not strictly mandatory, it is strongly recommended to use
explicit "id" values for subnets if you plan to use database storage for
host reservations. If ID is not specified, the values for it be
autogenerated, i.e. it will assign increasing integer values starting
from 1. Thus, the autogenerated IDs are not stable across configuration
changes."

We are using a memfile, but I guess possible problems arising from
auto-generated subnet-ids apply here also.

We are currently not setting subnet-ids per subnet, I will try to set
them manually and see if this solves the problem.

Best regards,
Rasmus Edgar