[Kea-users] kea http uefi boot

Jason Guy jguy at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Jun 6 13:42:38 UTC 2018

Klaus, Jorell and Francis,

Let me start by saying I have never tested or tried anything but classic
PXE in my lab. But thanks for providing your configurations as a point of
reference if I ever need them. I looked at the configuration I have for the
PXE, iPXE, UEFI, etc, and I found it interesting how different it was. To
Francis' point, I am using option 93, rather than 60.

        "client-classes": [
            {
                "boot-file-name": "pxelinux.0",
                "name": "pxe_x86",
                "next-server": "10.50.32.95",
                "server-hostname": "labtools",
                "test": "option[93].hex == 0x0000"
            },
            {
                "boot-file-name": "syslinux.efi",
                "name": "pxe_efi_ia32",
                "next-server": "10.50.32.95",
                "server-hostname": "labtools",
                "test": "option[93].hex == 0x0006"
            },
            {
                "boot-file-name": "syslinux.efi",
                "name": "ipxe_efi_bc",
                "next-server": "10.50.32.95",
                "server-hostname": "labtools",
                "test": "option[93].hex == 0x0007"
            },
            {
                "boot-file-name": "syslinux.efi",
                "name": "ipxe_efi_x86_64",
                "next-server": "10.50.32.95",
                "server-hostname": "labtools",
                "test": "option[93].hex == 0x0009"
            },

I think I created this based on some internet research, and these were
classifications for isc-dhcp. Then I converted it to work with Kea... I
cannot remember. It certainly works for PXE_x86, but perhaps this will
offer a different point of view of a way to work with iPXE.

Francis, I was thinking that it would be cool to put stuff like this in a
knowledge base or something on the wiki to pull together how to do things
like this. Alternately we could have a GIT repo of contributed
configuration examples that have been validated by users who know what they
are doing. :) Obviously this would need to be treated like any other open
source project, but would be really cool way to share example configs to
increase adoption velocity. Something to consider... Perhaps this is
something Victoria would be interested in looking at?

Thanks,
Jason