[Kea-users] DHCP6 subnet select fails. Basic config

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Fri Jan 12 01:08:45 UTC 2018

Mr. Dupont, thanks again for taking the time to answer a question of
mine...

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 23:44:59 +0000
Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org> wrote:

> => the link-address must not be :: cf RFC 3315 20.1.1 page 59.
> This is critical because it is the way Kea subnet selection recognizes
> direct vs relayed incoming packets (*).

	Unfortunate for me as my relaying device is layer 2 and doesn't
have a link address.

> PS: the algorithm for Kea subnet6 selection is:
>
> if first_relay_linkaddr is ::
>  // directly connected client
>  if interface name is not ""
>    try subnet6 with this interface name
>  if remote address is not ::
>    try subnet6 with this remote address
> else
>  // relayed message
>  try interface id
>  try link address

	This is interesting.  Thanks for sharing it.

	Looks like I can't do what I want unless I configure my router
to do dhcp relay instead of just operating within the local broadcast
zone.

Tim Howe           tim.h at bendtel.com
Data Processing    541-389-8252
BendTel            GPG pubkey id: CBDE9FFE