[Kea-users] DHCP6 subnet select fails. Basic config

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Thu Jan 11 22:58:25 UTC 2018

Tim Howe writes:
> 2018-01-11 09:04:51.971 ERROR [kea-dhcp6.dhcp6/45759] DHCP6_INIT_FAIL failed
> to initialize Kea server: configuration error using file '/usr/local/etc/kea/
> kea.conf': subnet configuration failed: parser error: interface (defined for
> locally reachable subnets) and interface-id (defined for subnets reachable vi
> a relays) cannot be defined at the same time for subnet 2607:fda0:101:1601::/
> 64(/usr/local/etc/kea/kea.conf:180:9)

=> you confused interface which says this subnet is for the link directly
connected to the interface, and interface-id which says the link is behind
a relay which adds this opaque interface-id RAI suboption to packets
which comes from clients on the link.

Of course you can be in both cases at the same time. Remember I wrote
after recommending the interface clause in subnet that I assume
there is no relay.

> 	Now I'm back to needing different subnets for each subscriber
> again whereas they can share the same vlan with v4.

=> no, a vlan should map to a subnet (link in IPv6 terms).

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>

PS: the interfaces-config global clause specifies interfaces Kea is
listen on. In ISC DHCP it is a command line parameter.