[Kea-users] Host reservation with pool dhcpv4

Joe Botha joe at swimgeek.com
Fri Aug 17 09:44:21 UTC 2018

Hi Francis                                    >@2018.08.17_09:08:21_GMT+0100

> norujames writes:
> > I would like to know if it is possible to use host reservation on
> > database, and provide an ip address from a pool ?
> > The idea is to check if client_id and/or circuit_id match, and then
> > provide ip address from a pool.
>
> => it is possible: the fixed address in host reservation is optional.
> Note that without a fixed address a resource (usually a hostname
> but it can be option or next server or ...) is required, i.e.,
> empty host reservations are not allowed.

Thanks for this tip.

I have a need to create host resvervations based on MAC
address, but I don't want to give a fixed IP or hostname.
I just want to tag them with something so I can figure out
which pool they should get IPs from. How would I do this
best?

I'm using kea 1.4.

Some MACs get a static IP:

{ "hw-address": "64:d1:54:2c:54:61", "ip-address": "102.135.nnn.64" },

Some MACs should get an IP from a special dynamic pool...

{ "hw-address": "fe:ec:da:27:ae:92", "client-classes": [ "dynamic-public" ] },

Is the Kea currently ignoring this reservation?

I want to use the class to make it get an IP from a pool...

  { "pool":
				 "102.135.nnn.1-102.135.nnn.126",
                 "client-class": "dynamic-public"
  }

--
Swimmingly,
 Joe

 www.swimgeek.com/blog  +27 82 562 6167  instagram.com/joe.swimgeek
        "...all progress depends on the unreasonable man."