[Kea-users] shared subnet advice

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Tue Aug 14 08:26:56 UTC 2018

Joe Botha writes:
> Please point me in the right direction. I've been playing
> with a Kea 1.4 dhcp4 config related to Shared Subnets and
> client-classes, but not having much joy.
>
> I'd like to have two subnets, one with public IPs, one
> with RFC1918 IPs.

=> note this implies a shared network as pools must be in the range
of the subnet they are declared.

> Based on MAC address of the client, I'd like to handle 3
> cases:
>
> 1) Some MAC addresses are unknown and should get RFC1918 IPs,
> until they authenticate.

=> you need Kea 1.4 with the KNOWN / UNKNOWN classes which can guard
a pool (not a subnet because subnets are selected before host reservations
are looked for in the current (so 1.4) code).

> 2) Some MAC addresses have fixed IP address reservations in
> the public IP pool.
>
> 3) Some MAC addresses are known and should get a dynamic IP
> from the public pool.
>
> I need to prevent known MACs from getting RFC 1918 IPs.

=> I think by "known" you mean have a host reservation. BTW it is required
for a host reservation to provide at least an address or a hostname.
If you want MAC address only matching you need a client class.

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>