[Kea-users] dynamic dns hostname conflict

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Thu May 18 16:14:13 UTC 2017

On 5/1/17 6:19 AM, Thomas Markwalder wrote:
> Hello Pawel:
>

> Kea's DDNS process, kea-dhcp-ddns, implements conflict
> detection/resolution as described in RFC 4703
> (http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4703).  This behavior
> restricts DDNS updates for a given FQDN (hostname), to a single client
> as identified by its DHCID.  Therefore,  if  one client creates DNS
> entries for a hostname, "example.host.com", and later a different
> client attempts to add/replace/delete those entries,  the updates will
> be rejected.   The intent is to prevent different clients from owning
> the same name.
>
> I did notice that we do not describe this in our administrator's guide
> as we should.  I have created a bug ticket to update the documentation
> (http://kea.isc.org/ticket/5275#ticket).  We may include a
> configurable parameter that turns this policy on and off.   If you
> this functionality you would like to see added,  your cause would be
> aided by opening an enhancement ticket: http://kea.isc.org/newticket
> .  This helps us know what issues are important to our users.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas Markwalder
> ISC Software Engineering
>
> On 5/1/17 4:46 AM, Paweł Socha wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am using kea-dhcp4 with kea-ddns service to dynamically allocate
>> new addresses for "named" DNS service. When a host with hostname X
>> and IP address A  is shut down and new one with hostname X goes up,
>> it gets new IP address ( B ), but in dynamic dns is still present
>> previous A-X binding, but not B-X. Removal of dynamic entry is
>> rejected with RCODE 7 and adding a new one is rejected with RCODE 8.
>> When lease for address A is expired, A-X binding is successfully removed.
>> Is there any opportunity to solve hostname conflict by overwriting
>> Dynamic DNS entries by the newest ones? I've tried everything...
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Pawel

Hello Pawel:

Just wanted to update you on your feature request to be able to turn
on/off conflict resolution in kea-dhcp-ddns (aka D2).  We will keep it
in mind for future releases, but has been deemed not-in-scope for our
next release Kea 1.3 which should be out sometime in 2017 (firm date is
TBD).

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering