[Kea-users] user_chk not installed

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Jun 28 18:23:34 UTC 2017

W dniu 28.06.2017 o 12:43, Thomas Markwalder pisze:
> We deliberately do not install this library as it is primarily an
> example hook library intended as a learning tool and not likely to be
> something admins want in a production  installation.
Perhaps it's useful to explain why we made this decision. user_chk is an
example library that showcases how one could use hooks interface. It was
written with simplicity and clarity in mind, not performance.

In particular, every time a new packet comes in, the library re-reads
and parses the known users file. This is nice when you want to
demonstrate how hooks are working, but it's rather poor from performance
perspective. The more packets per second you get and more entries you
have in a file, the worse performance you'll get.

If this library were installed by default, the difference between
educational example and production ready library could be lost and
people would complain that Kea performs poorly.

Regards,
Tomek Mrugalski