[Kea-users] Need help defining custom options

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Jan 31 19:20:37 UTC 2017

W dniu 31.01.2017 o 14:27, James Sumners pisze:
> Thank you for the proposed release date of 1.2; I may be able to get by
> with 1.1.0 until then. But now I have to ask, what sort of versioning
> scheme is Kea following? With the x.y.z format, it looks like the format
> is following semver.org. If that is case, then I would argue that this
We mostly follow the versioning convention used by other ISC products.
However, since Kea is a relatively new software that receives
significant new features with every release, we tend to change Y number
every time. Once the pace of development slows down and we announce ESV
(Extended Support Version) branch, we will start bumping up Z number.
ISC DHCP and BIND also do -PX (patchlevel X) and -RX (release X), but
the Kea code keeps changing too rapidly for that kind of stability.

We will only bump up the X component when something very major is added,
like adding failover or perhaps removing obsolete DHCPv4 support (don't
worry, that won't happen any time soon :).

> qualifies for a 1.1.1 release. And that wouldn’t need to wait another
> three months for release.
Adding another release is something we can do, but only if major issue
is discovered that cannot wait till the next planned release. That
typically means a security issue or a very serious bug that prevents
many deployments from operating normally. Sadly, this bug here is not
such a case.

Having said that, I may try to help you with this. Would you be willing
to run git version of the code? I can review the fix and it could be
ready in couple days. If not, would a patch backported to 1.1.0 be ok?

Tomek Mrugalski
ISC