[Kea-users] IP address conflict handling

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Fri Feb 10 19:49:00 UTC 2017

W dniu 09.02.2017 o 00:07, Klaus Steden pisze:
> Thanks! That was a terrific explanation. Where does Kea store the record
> for the "hijacked" address? Does it live in the existing lease table, or
> somewhere else (we're using MySQL as the backend, so I don't know if it
> will be visible in the DB, or if it gets stored locally in another
> lease-file-like file.)
yes, it's just reassigned to a special fake DUID or hardware address and
stored with other currently assigned leases. It then undergoes similar
procedure as a normal leases which are expired after their lifetime
elapses. For declined leases, it's called probation period, but
technically it's the same timer for both cases. Kea processes them
mostly in the same way (there are minor differences, like for declined
lease being recovered there are extra statistics that needs to be adjusted).

I don't remember off-hand the syntax of the special DUID/hw address, but
I think it was something like 1 byte long expression. It should
definitely stand out in the lease file or in your DB.

Tomek