[Kea-users] Overlapping/duplicate subnets

S. M. Hossein Hamidi hossein.hamidi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:02:46 UTC 2017

Hi all,

My mind is busy with a DHCP scenario that I couldn't end up with a
configuration to support that. I am asking here to make sure it is not an
oversight.

Suppose that we have several subnets which are behind a NAT device which
additionally acts as a DHCP relay agent. I know that using DHCP relay agent
information option, I can distinguish between different subnets. However,
the additional constraint is to use duplicate or overlapping subnets
instead of different subnets. Since, the traffic comes from each segment
goes through NAT, it wouldn't be any problem to use duplicate IP addresses,
knowing that each segment has its own autonomy.

As far as I know, the lease database use IP address as primary key. So, it
seems duplicate IP addresses are not allowed.

Is there any workaround except running several instances of Kea to serve
such a topology?

Regards,