[Kea-users] execute scripts and kea

Philippe Maechler pmaechler-ml at glattnet.ch
Thu Dec 28 09:54:26 UTC 2017

Hello Kea Users and Devs

We’re currently using the ISC-DHCPD in our cable and ftth network. All the
devices need a dedicated configuration file, which we generate either
statically or dynamically with the execute statement.

Unfortunately when an access systems breaks, we have several hundred
requests at the same time and the script, which generates the config-files
takes a rather long time (~1-2 secs per cpe). During this time the whole
dhcpd isn’t handling out other leases

Does kea have something like the execute statement?

I’m sure there is a way to do it with a hook, but I’m not a programmer and
I’m not sure if we can get the hook right.

There is already a hook, which lets you run your own script (see New Kea
hook to call external scripts: kea-hook-runscript)

Tomek Mrugalski wrote: One thing you should consider in the future is that
if the script takes a long time to execute, it will freeze whole Kea
execution.

I hoped that KEA would be different and that the “freeze” would “only”
affect the current client/mac address or the current transaction id

Is there a way around this “limitation”?

How or where are others generating the configfiles for e.g. a cable modem or
a SIP phone? Are you doing this on your dhcp or on your tftp server?

Best regards

Philippe Mächler