[Kea-users] Client classification substring match

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Wed Dec 20 23:16:07 UTC 2017

Jason Guy writes:
> I have a question on substring matching with the vendor class identifier,
> which seems easy enough, but the strings *can* have a variable length. This
> is also a problem for isc-dhcp apparently, in that you must indicate the
> range of the substring match.

=> BTW Kea substring is a super set of ISC DHCP one, for instance
it can run from the end of string.

> I don't see in the docs any way to do a regex (which would be excellent).

=> after a nasty bug in bind9 with a regex library which matches some
particular samples in nearly unbound time I am not so sure. BTW
you can still write a hook: classification is for usual / easy cases.

> However in the current function *substring( option, start, end )*, why
> specify the end index?
 => it is not an end index but the length (which can be negative as
the start or be "all"). Is there a documentation saying "end"?

> Thoughts?

=> I am afraid you did read the right documentation...

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>