[Kea-users] bind kea to non-local IP

Munroe Sollog mus3 at lehigh.edu
Wed Dec 13 21:02:15 UTC 2017

VRRP should allow for a quick and easy way to implement a failover pair of
dhcp servers without breaking poorly implemented DHCP clients (clients that
won't re-broadcast the dhcp request when the renewing server doesn't
respond).

However in order to implement keepalived, you have to enable nonlocal ip
binding in the kernel:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_nonlocal_bind

It seems like Kea though, also doesn't like binding to a non-local IP.  So
if the other DHCP server fails, it can't seemlessly assume its role and
needs to be reconfigured and restarted.

This would be a great feature to implement especially in 1.4 as part of the
HA feature set.  As of right now, when I try to configure kea to listen on
the standby IP (the IP the other server is currently using), I get:

DHCP4_INIT_FAIL failed to initialize Kea server: configuration error using
file '/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf': Failed to select interface: interface
'eth0' doesn't have address '172.31.0.1' assigned
(/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf:18:41) (/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf:18:5)

--
Munroe Sollog
Senior Network Engineer
munroe at lehigh.edu