[Kea-users] Weird stats from a shared database

Munroe Sollog mus3 at lehigh.edu
Tue Dec 12 14:48:44 UTC 2017

Let me know if this should be a bug, but I have noticed some weird stats
when running two kea-1.3 DHCP servers from the same mysql database (using
Galera).

I have included a screen grab of the stats.

Between noon and 2pm yesterday we when I migrated rogi from the memfile to
the mysql database.  I migrated all of the existing leases from the CSV to
mysql and started rogi.

Igor from around 2:30pm until about 7:45am the next day it steadily
declines all the way to -436 leases.  How can it possibly have *negative*
leases?

This subnet is configured with 1hr leases.  With that in mind, the fact
that rogi steadily climbed overnight is very suspicious.  This seems like
rogi maybe wasn't reclaiming leases correctly?

At just after 8am (towards the end of the graph), I made a configuration
change to rogi and restarted it.  This seemed to have triggered the
reclamation process and also brought igor back from the negative.

All and all a very weird graph.  With two servers handing out IPs for the
same subnet from the same database, how does the daemon track which one it
handed out vs which one the other server handed out?

--
Munroe Sollog
Senior Network Engineer
munroe at lehigh.edu