[Kea-users] Dynamically changing DHCP options based on current environment using hooks

Munroe Sollog mus3 at lehigh.edu
Wed Apr 19 13:14:33 UTC 2017

I have a network that has two gateways that can act as a device’s default gateway.  Currently I am running kea on two different servers.  Each server is configured to hand out half of the network’s ip space (non-overlapping).  Each server has a different default gateway configured.  This has the effect of load balancing users across both gateways.  For added robustness I wrote a simple perl script that checks to ensure each path is up and routing, when one goes down for whatever reason, the script stops the appropriate DHCP server so users aren’t directed to a black hole.  Finally the same script will start the DHCP server again when the path becomes functional again.

This setup has been working well, but I would like to take advantage of the Kea hook framework, so I can reproduce this functionality using a single kea instance.  I am looking for pointers and thoughts regarding writing a hook for this.  It looks like, at the moment,  I am locked into C++.  I’m not sure which hook to use to massage the default gw for every lease.