[Kea-users] Will v1.2 Support Massive Amounts of Subnets?

Joe Nelson josephnelson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:25:09 UTC 2016

Hello, everyone.  I'm looking for some advice/help/suggestions.

I work for a fixed wireless ISP.  We deliver a last mile connection to
our customers via a modified 802.11N or 802.11AC device (Ubiquiti).
We're working on an entirely new network topology that relies on
having a single VLAN per customer. Each VLAN will have a /29 of
private IPv4 or /30 public IPv4 and a /64 of IPv6 space. Without this
VLAN setup, all customers on a wireless access point would be in one
broadcast domain which is not acceptable to us.  In addition, the
individual VLAN's provide other benefits that are specific to a
wireless network.

The problem I'm having is finding a DHCP server to hand out addresses
to so many VLAN's - and to configure it on the fly.  My idea is to
have DHCP relay enabled on the router at each site and a pair of DHCP
servers at the head end listening on anycast IP's.  The relay would
set option 82 with the appropriate router and VLAN information that
the DHCP server can use to classify the customer with.  Each time a
customer is provisioned, a new network/pool would need to be created
for their VLAN.  I would need to be able to load a new network/pool
into the server without manually editing config files or reloading the
server.  I'm not at all interested in tracking individual hosts since
these are end customer devices and can change without our knowledge, I
just need to configure the subnet per VLAN.

I've been watching Kea for some time now and I believe that this will
be able to be done in the 1.2 version that's scheduled for (hopefully)
later this year.  Specifically, ticket 4285
(http://kea.isc.org/ticket/4285) seems to reference an API for
subnets.  Am I correct in understanding what this new API will do?
Also, how well will this scale?  We currently have approximately 9000
customers and provision about 20-25 new customers per day.  I don't
doubt that the server could handle the number of leases, but I don't
know if having everything split into so many subnets would affect
performance.

Thank you,

Joe Nelson
Senior Network Engineer