[Kea-users] Host reservation "hostname"

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Mon Sep 5 16:08:38 UTC 2016

On 03.09.2016 12:03, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the Host reservation "hostname" setting in
> kea.conf.
>
> I have a host reservation looking like this:
> ===
> {
>   "hw-address": "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",
>   "ip-address": "192.168.1.14",
>   "hostname": "name"
> },
> ===
>
> The manual for 1.0.0
> (https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/1.0.0/doc/kea-guide.html#reservation4-hostname)
> states that "the server will assign this hostname to the client and send
> it back in the Client FQDN or Hostname option, depending on which of
> them the client has sent to the server."
>
> There is however no hostname option being set in the DHCPACK, even if the
> DHCPREQUEST contains the Host Name (option 12). Am I misunderstadning the
> manual? I do realize it is not possible to configure actual dhcp option values
> for reservations in kea 1.0.0, but the manual seems to suggest the "hostname"
> setting will create these options (if always or _only_ when the client request
> contains any of the options mentioned I cant tell).
>
> Am i missing something?

Patrik,

Kea 1.0.0 supports hostname reservations for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6.
However, the general rule is that the servers won't send back hostname
or client fqdn option back to the client if DNS updates are disabled.

See http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-ddns-config for details.

This rule also applies to statically assigned/reserved hostnames. We may
need to improve the doc to make it more clear. The question is, though,
whether you have some use case when the hostnames need to be returned to
the clients when DNS updates are off?

Marcin Siodelski
ISC