[Kea-users] ddns update question

Richard Holbo holbor at hunterfiber.com
Mon Oct 10 17:23:18 UTC 2016

Am doing my first deployment of KEA after using ISC-DHCP for..ever.

Am trying to replicate an existing configuration with multiple subnets
updating different forward DNS domains and am unclear on how to accomplish
this as all examples/docs I've found only seem to use a single forward
domain.

I've got both forward and reverse working, forward for a single domain, and
reverse for whatever the subnet is.  My issue seems to be the following
commands:

{

  "dhcp-ddns": { "enable-updates": true,
    "qualifying-suffix": "bogus.net",
    "override-client-update": true
},

These seem to be required in the DHCP4 config but then seem to override any
settings in the ddns config

  "forward-ddns" : {
    "ddns-domains": [
        {
        "name": "bogus.net.",
        "dns-servers": [ { "ip-address": "re.dac.ted", "port": 53 } ]
        },
        {
        "name": "wireless.bogus.",
        "dns-servers": [ { "ip-address": "re.dac.ted", "port": 53 } ]
        },
        {
         "name": "bogus.",
         "dns-servers": [ { "ip-address": "re.dac.ted", "port": 53 } ]
          },
        ]
    },

The following is info is set under the "subnet" section for each:
-----
        {
            "name": "domain-name",
            "data": "bogus.net"
        },
-----
        {
            "name": "domain-name",
            "data": "bogus.wireless"
        },
-----
        {
            "name": "domain-name",
            "data": "bogus"
        },

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing but been banging my head against
it for a couple of days.  All forward DNS goes to bogus.net irrespective of
the domain-name settings of the subnet.

/thanks
/rh