[Kea-users] Meaning of "client-class" in subnet?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Mon Nov 21 19:07:54 UTC 2016

I think nobody responded to this so far, so here it goes.

W dniu 06.11.2016 o 05:47, mrobti at insiberia.net pisze:
> When using "client-class" in a subnet, I understand it will associate
> all clients that are a member of that class with the subnet in question.
No. First, clients (or more precisely the packets sent by those clients)
are being classified and some may be assigned one or more classes. Then
Kea does normal subnet selection, based on the topology. This is
explained in Section 7.5
(http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-subnet-selection). If you
define client-class for a subnet, it acts as a white list. In other
words, only those clients that belong to specified class are allowed to
use that subnet.

> Documentation doesn't make it clear if it makes the subnet exclusive to
> that client class or not?
Yes, if class is defined, the subnet becomes exclusive for that client
class. To use a subnet with defined client-class, the incoming packet
has to be both topologically correct for the subnet AND belong to the
client class.

> In other words, would other clients be able to obtain addresses in that
> subnet?
No.

Tomek Mrugalski
ISC