[Kea-users] Logging functionality and documentation

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Fri Nov 18 13:24:09 UTC 2016

On 11/16/16 12:51 PM, SoupNazi izaNpuoS wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It appears that there are some discrepancies between the documentation
> (http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#logging) and the actual way
> the logging works in Kea.
>
> I have been attempting to split off logging of kea-dhcp6 to a separate
> log file.  I have encountered some problems:
>
> According to the documentation, the facility used is local0  by
> default.  It doesn't seem to be.  The facility as seen by rsyslog on
> CentOS 7 is user.
>
> Further, there appears to be no way to change the facility.  The
> documentation claims that you can use
> the KEA_LOGGER_DESTINATION=syslog[:/|fac|/] environment variable to
> change the facility.  This variable appears to only changes the name
> of the daemon that did the logging.  This is the same behavior that
> the output_options under Logging{} does.
>
> In order to successfully have good control over logging while using
> syslog, we will need to have access to changing the facility so that
> we can make it anything local0-local7.  That way we can setup specific
> log files for certain aspects of the Kea DHCP server.
>
> I am aware that with rsyslog, I can setup matches for names where I
> could send all logs that contain "kea", for example, to a specific
> file.  Not all systems I manage run rsyslog, however, as some run
> sysklogd where this is not possible.
>
> Is it on your radar to expose the ability to change the logging
> facility in Kea in the future?

Hi:

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you, we already have a
ticket open for this:

http://kea.isc.org/ticket/5053

and it is scheduled to be included in our upcoming 1.2 release, which we
are targetting for April/2017.

Thanks for reporting it, though.  It always helps to have an idea of how
many people an issue may be affecting.

Sincerely,

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering