[Kea-users] Client connectivity problem

Toby Walsh walshtj at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 03:13:56 UTC 2016

I have isolated this to something wrong with my database connection. I
have strictly followed the instructions from "Tips about Host
Reservations in Kea 1.1". I have a hosts table and a dhcp4_options
table configured correctly. When I restart the kea-dhcp4 server the
logs tell me the server is started correctly. I now have Kea set up to
run under systemctl and those logs tell me that on restarting the
server the lease database and the hosts database are opened. The lease
database is correctly populated by Kea upon obtaining a lease. But the
hosts database is not read and therefore neither is the dhcp4_options
database, and dhcpdump shows requests by the test devices for an IP
address but nothing happening and certainly Kea is quiet.

On the other hand, if I specify the reservations manually in the
kea.conf file using basic "hw-address" and "ip-address" fields both
test devices I'm using successfully obtain an IP address.

So what is different about the hosts table that I'm getting wrong? I
have the same database name/user name/password that I use to manually
populate/edit the tables. In the hosts table I'm populating:

host_id
dhcp_identifier (using UNHEX(REPLACE ... )
dhcp_identifier_type (using 'hw-address' mapping)
dhcp4_subnet_id
ipv4_address (using INET_ATON(@my_desired_ip))
hostname

and that's it. No next_server, no dhcp4_server_hostname, no
dhcp4_boot_file_name but I don't have those in the working kea.conf
reservation either.

In the dhcp4_options table I just have routers and DNS settings. I
tried using option 5 and 6 for DNS but it seems irrelevant since the
hosts table doesn't appear to be read anyway.

Nothing else seems to stick out to me so any tips on getting
mysql-backed Kea working would be great.

Thanks.