[Kea-users] Host reservations in MySQL database

Christian Garling christian.garling at cg-networks.de
Wed Nov 9 18:19:53 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am setting up KEA as part of a provisioning system. Therefore I want
to use host reservations with MySQL to realize PXE boot of my machines.
My dataset consists of:

dhcp_identifier=x'ab12cd34ef56' (MAC address of the system in lower case
letters withouts colons)
dhcp_identifier_type='0'
dhcp4_subnet_id='1' (matches my subnet id in kea.conf)
ipv4_address=INET_ATON('192.168.1.25') (reserved IP for the host to install)
hostname='srv01.example.com'
dhcp4_next_server=INET_ATON('192.168.1.10') (IP of my tftp server)
dhcp4_server_hostname=INET_ATON('192.168.1.10') (IP of my tftp server
again -> not sure if its correct)
dhcp4_boot_file='pxelinux.0'

If the machine tries to PXE boot it does not get the reserved IP and it
does not boot the PXE image. If I configure the same reservation in the
kea.conf itself PXE boot works fine.

I did not find any format specification how to store the data above
correctly in the database. Specially the dhcp_identifier could be wrong
I think.

I already enabled the MySQL general log and there I can see a lot of
queries from the KEA server, so the database connections seems to be fine.

Can someone help with that?

Regards, Christian