[Kea-users] Need help assigning subnets by class with host reservations

mrobti at insiberia.net mrobti at insiberia.net
Tue Nov 8 23:44:47 UTC 2016

I want to assign a client-class using hwaddr, from MySQL backend, and
restrict a subnet for that client-class. In other words, only allow
clients with known MAC addresses to use the subnet they are trying to
connect to.

DB hosts table has an entry for the client:
dhcp4_subnet_id = 1
dhcp_identifier_type = 0
dhcp_identifier = UNHEX(REPLACE('aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff', ':', ''))
hostname = test.local
dhcp4_client_classes = test_class

Config file has:
"client-classes": [ {
   "name": "test_class"
} ],
"subnet4": [ {
   "id": 1,
   "subnet": "192.168.1.0/24",
   "pools": [ { "pool": "192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.20" } ],
   "client-class": "test_class"
} ],

But Kea says (debug level 50):
: client packet has been assigned to the following class(es):
VENDOR_CLASS_MSFT 5.0
: failed to select subnet for the client
: no suitable subnet configured for a direct client

It works if I remove "client-class" from the subnet definition, so
something is not synchronizing the class somewhere.

Could it be a problem that the DB hosts entry has no ipv4_address
listed? (that column is NULL)  I don't have any other ideas.