[Kea-users] Microsoft Default Router Metric Base Option

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Wed May 4 14:14:52 UTC 2016

On 03.05.2016 18:03, Thomas Andersen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a small problem with our windows client.
> When connected to wired and wireless at the same time, both connections
> have the same metric (20) and in some case the wifi has lower metric
> than wired. (100mb etc vs 300mbit wifi)
> The outcome of this is that we have more traffic on wifi than we like
> and also result in some connectivity issues.
>
> I’ve been told that the DHCP can add some option to alter the metric. If
> I can do this for the wifi vlan it mean that traffic will go to wired
> instead.
>
> The closest I’ve found is this:

> ip dhcp pool test
>  network 10.100.20.0 255.255.255.0
>  default-router 10.100.20.1
>  option 43 hex 0304.0000.0020
>
> This adds 32 to the metric that the interface dynamically configures.
>
> 03 is the option
>
> 04 is the length
>
> 00000020 is the metric to add.

> Can anyone assist me in how this would be configured in KEA?
>
> Br,
> Thomas

Thomas,

The following section
http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/guide/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-vendor-opts of
the Kea User's Guide should be useful for you.

So probably something like this:

"Dhcp4": {
    "option-def": [
        {
            "name": "foo",
            "code": 3,
            "space": "vendor-encapsulated-options-space",
            "type": "uint32",
            "array": false,
            "encapsulate": ""
        }
    ],
}

and then

"Dhcp4": {
    "option-data": [
        {
            "name": "foo",
            "space": "vendor-encapsulated-options-space",
            "data": "32"
        }
    ],
}