[Kea-users] "filename" vs "option bootfile-name"

Patrik Lundin patrik at sigterm.se
Sun Jul 10 15:50:48 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 02:53:58PM +0000, Francis Dupont wrote:

> => the filename is a BOOTP (vs DHCP) feature and is considered by
> default to be deprecated/obsolete. IMHO it is a good topic for
> a hook, BTW Dhcpv4Srv::vendorClassSpecificProcessing does exactly
> what you want for Docsis modem clients:
>     // Now try to set up file field in DHCPv4 packet. We will just copy
>     // content of the boot-file option, which contains the same information.
>
> so you have just to cut & paste the code after this comment... Or if
> the other specific processing is useful too puts all clients in the
> right class.

Right, I was actually about to send a follow-up email after some
digging. I noticed that there was indeed support for setting the "file"
field (via the Pkt4::setFile() function), and that it was being used as
you describe in the specific modem-handling code. I also notice it is
being used in the user_chk example hook code.

There is one thing that confuses me: If the "file" field in the DHCP
header is considered deprecated on favor of option 67, why does kea
support the "next-server" option for setting siaddr? Shouldnt it depend
on option 66 (TFTP server name) instead?

--
Patrik Lundin