[Kea-users] How to Configure MySQL backend?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Apr 26 16:06:44 UTC 2016

On 25.04.2016 21:10, Thomas Andersen wrote:
> At the moment only host reservation and lease file is supported afaik.
> http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#database-configuration4
Yes. And to explain the status of host reservation in MySQL, this is
something we're working on right now and will be released in 1.1.0.
Lease storage works for several years and is considered very stable.
The host reservation support is a different matter, though. When Kea 1.0
was about to be released we had a working prototype that covered some
functionalities (reading info from the reservation tables, assigning
reserved IPv4 address, preventing anyone else from getting that reserved
IPv4 address), but with many others missing (IPv6 reservation not
functional, per host options not functional, not very extensive
documentation). We had two choices: either include the code
in its current state in 1.0 or not include it at all.

We decided to go ahead and provide the functionality we had and focused
on improving (or rather making it complete) in upcoming 1.1.0. The
rationale for this decision was that people will figure it out and will
be able to use it in some cases, even if the documentation is not
extensive. So some people would benefit from it. On the other hand, if
the decision was to not include it, nobody would be able to take any
benefit from it.

If you really dislike the shortcomings of the current host reservations
in MySQL support, you can wait for the upcoming 1.1.0 release. You may
also look at our current milestone http://kea.isc.org/milestone/Kea1.1.
These are the tickets that are in scope for ISC engineers for the next
couple months. There are several tickets related to MySQL. Some of them
are already complete, which means that the code is on master branch in
our git repo. If you're comfortable with running bleeding edge code from
git repo, you may try it. However, please do understand that you're
using code that is being worked on and is not complete yet.

Hope that helps,
Tomek