[Kea-users] Storing leases in LDAP

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Mar 19 14:18:31 UTC 2015

On 11/03/15 12:55, Ben Humpert wrote:
> I asked for this in the ISC DHCP Users mailing list and was told to
> check out Kea but haven't found any information yet about an addon for
> LDAP.
>
> Is there already one or is being worked on?
Unfortunately not, and currently there are no plans to implement it.

We currently have support for 3 lease storage backends: memfile (which
stores leases in memory and in CSV file), MySQL and PostgreSQL. The
interface is extensible, so it should be relatively easy to implement
additional storage for leases, e.g. one using LDAP. This requires a bit
of C++ knowledge. If you know how to write C++ code and are willing to
contribute a patch, the work doesn't seem too complicated. You may want
to take a look at LeaseMgr class defined in src/lib/dhcpsrv/lease_mgr.h.
There are concrete implementations in the
src/lib/dhcpsrv/{memfile|mysql|pgsql}_lease_mgr.cc|h files. Note that
each backend has its own unit-tests. Fortunately, it is rather easy to
extend existing tests to cover new backend. If you're interested in more
details, let's discuss this further on kea-dev list.

Hope that helps,
Tomek