[Kea-users] DNS testing

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Jul 15 11:55:36 UTC 2015

On 13/07/15 20:21, Vikram Hosakote (vhosakot) wrote:
> I am trying to test and scale DNS. Is there a tool developed by KEA that
> simulates a DNS client and sends DNS requests/queries ? Is it
> kea-dhcp-ddns ? Looks like kea-dhcp-ddns can be used only to test
> DDNS (dynamic DNS). Am I right ?
Kea's goal is to develop scalable DHCP software. DHCP server may need to
update DNS and that functionality is implemented in kea-dhcp-ddns. It's
a separate process that was not intended to be run separately. It
receives name change requests (in JSON format) from the core DHCP
servers and performs necessary DNS updates.

In principle you could use it stand-alone as DNS updates backend, but
you'd need to develop something that would generate name change
requests. That's certainly doable, but would require a bit of work.

kea-dhcp-ddns was never envisaged to be used stand-alone, so there's not
much end user's documentation. But there's extensive documentation for
developers and contributors if you're interested:
http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d6/d31/d2.html

http://kea.isc.org/wiki/DhcpDdnsDesign

That's about it regarding DHCP aspects of your question. I asked one of
our DNS folks to answer your questions. Please keep in mind that
kea-users and kea-dev is typically read by DHCP, not DNS folks, so the
general questions about DNS may be better answered on bind-users list
(https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users).

Tomek