[Kea-users] A couple of questions.

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Thu Aug 6 16:41:21 UTC 2015

Hi JM,

Thanks for your interest in Kea. See my responses below.

On 06.08.2015 18:26, jmillette wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2 separate questions, if they should be sent as separate messages
> please feel free to slap me.

Having one thread per person is probably way better than multiple
threads. :-)

> 1, I am curious about whether it is possible to separate subnet
> declarations for kea's dhcp4 configuration file out of the main
> conf and into a file of its own. I have _MANY_ subnets to declare
> and maintaining them programatically in their own file appeals to
> me a lot.

We've had plans to do it, but as it happens with the large project
like this, it always gets prioritized. I think it is worth to look
into this at some point but have don't have it in scope for the next
release, which is Kea 1.0 around November. Future plans are still
being worked out.

> 2, Is there any documentation or plans for high availability
> within the kea environment?

I think you're asking about the failover specifically?

Kea doesn't have failover implementation at this point as it is a
really huge functionality. There are potential ways to achieve some
failover-like behavior by using the SQL database replication. Kea
supports 3 lease database backends, of which two are SQL-based: MySQL
and PostgreSQL. Enabling database replication allows for sharing the
lease information through the built-in SQL database mechanisms.
However, we're not aware of any deployment which does it at this point.

> Thank you all for your time, and for what is shaping out to be a
> very nice suite of tools.
>
> -JM

Marcin Siodelski
ISC DHCP Sw. Engineer